The online racing simulator
Steering Very Sensitive! [solved]
I have tried fiddling with all the settings in controls but the steering is so sensitive, try and move it slightyest at speed and the car goes full lock and spins.

I am using a PS2 -> PC Converter and a PS2 controller.

Worked great with LFS1!
Your controller needs to be recallibrated within LFS. Open it, in the options under the controller axis theres a "recallibrate" button. Press it and then move your wheel from left to right and back again. It should now be ok.

If not, then it needs to be callibrated further in LFS. I'll dig out the thread at RSC if you need it.
Quote from the_angry_angel :Your controller needs to be recallibrated within LFS. Open it, in the options under the controller axis theres a "recallibrate" button. Press it and then move your wheel from left to right and back again. It should now be ok.

If not, then it needs to be callibrated further in LFS. I'll dig out the thread at RSC if you need it.

tried the calibration but its still very very sensitive

seems to be the controller i am using.

with this one the steering is very sensitive but i have a small deadzone.
With my other PS2 controller the sterring is much smoother but i have no deadzone and can't keep the car straight!
You can make the steering non-linear - have you tried playing with that setting? It should make it less sensitive in the straight positions.
Quote from the_angry_angel :You can make the steering non-linear - have you tried playing with that setting? It should make it less sensitive in the straight positions.

is that the analogue steer slider? have tried that one but doesn't seem to make much difference.
Its "wheel turn compensation", iirc.
that certainly helps, anything over 100mph though and the car is weaving all over the place, just need a tiny deadzone!
You might beable to sort that out with DXTweak
dx tweak doesn't seem to do anything
did u install the converter with a cd or just plug it in. i have a ps2 to pc converter and mine works fine, but i hadnt installed it, just plugged it in!

zoolpool
its my old PS2 controller, as its been used alot there is a little play in the left analogue stick so steers all over the place.

Can't believe there is no way of setting a deadzone, the games unplayable at the moment
looking on rsc there are loads and loads of people having steering problems, and quite a few with the same as mine, weaving on straights!

Patch Please?
I use the exact same setup and it works as well as it ever did if only for
the small sensitivity increase. There's been many posts like this on, eh,
past forums. It's all been answered but i'll repeat.
It all comes down to 3 settings:

1- "Wheel turn" ; set this to 180°

This setting is for wheel users and anything over 180 makes steering
go full lock much earlier. Keep this at it's lowest setting.

2- "Wheel turn compensation" ; set this to 1.00

This setting is the same as the old "steering center reduction".
It's basically a Linear/Progressive sensitivity setting. This setting
should be viewed as a compromise. Low setting increases initial sensitivity
(deadzone), while a higher setting increases sensitivity as you approach
full lock while reducing the initial sensitivity.

3- "Analog Steer Smooth" ; set to prefered setting.

Now this is an interesting setting. It adjusts the time it takes
for the wheels to steer to match your input. Lower setting makes
steering 'instant', while a higher setting smooths/slows down
steering reaction. I prefer a setting around 50% (0.50).

Then there's always the DirectX tweaker app which allows you to
manually set an initial deadzone. I've never had problems with it myself.
I set my deadzones to around 12-15% as my PSX pads are quite old,
they aren't PS2 pads for one, and it works fine.
yes thanks for the post, much better than before

perhaps make this a sticky as its a common problem?
Quote from Unclefloug :thanks for those settings Fonnybone, ive been using a ps2 pad since s1, but in s2 the sensitivity seemed to be greater and drving in a straight line was very tricky at high speed. these settings hav sure helped alot!
thanks floug

Yes, i think 'everyone' using a PSX-style analog pad has noticed this, myself
included. However, there's never been an official confirmation that it was the
case, in fact, i remember reading that no changes were made to LFS to
explain this, so i'm not sure if it's something else, or simply because of the
default settings. I for one do not find the current "Wheel turn compensation"
as effective as the old "Steer reduction", but apparently, it's the same thing.

It might also have to do with DirectX and the deadzone setting which seems
totally gone, whereas before (although you couldn't adjust it either), it
seemed like the deadzone was a big bigger.

Another theory would be that changes were made to improve the on/off
center feel of the wheels which have had an inherent problem with the
FF constantly over-throwing the actual center since the beta days.
I find LFS very sensitive and even at 180 wheel turn I still have to reduce the range of my wheel to 46% in the Logitech profiler (meaning slides are a no go)
Quote from Fonnybone :"Analog Steer Smooth"

Where do i find that? i found the other two settings, but this one seems to be gone.
Analogue steer smooth is hidden under misc.

Fonny: I'm sure I read Scawen saying that the non-linearity in wheel turn compensation IS different to steer center reduction. The only change in S2 is that CSR can only be used on the mouse, and no longer on joysticks. Oh and if you use the mouse axis for throttle/brake as well as steering, you can't use it either. IMO there would ideally be a way to tell LFS if your analogue device is a wheel or a joystick/mouse, and you can use the most appropriate non-linearity method.
In the track setup for the car go to "steering" and change "maximum lock" to about 20

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG