The online racing simulator
Struggling to hold the drift
(22 posts, started )
Hi

I've introduced myself in the sticky up top...

I do drift in the big toys but I'm finding it hard to hold the drift in LFS. Tried lots of different drift setups from here but 9 out of 10 times the back just lets go.
Probably as I have no feel anymore its going before i know it?

Any help guys???
It's just most about practising, there is really no one that can help you, its all about yourself.

The thing you can do is to make smaller angle, and do throttle control to maintain the drift.

Aswell the the warmer your tires are, the easyer will it be to keep the drift.

The best tips i can give you is to keep practising, that's the only key to get better.

And don't except to get good in drifting in one day, it takes week/months

Good luck!
Thanks, I did think i maybe expecting too much. I had hoped i would pick it up staraight away been able to do it on track but too high hopes by the look of it.

Looks like lots of seat time needed just like real life...

Would you say its better to start with a lower power and work up or with plenty of power to make it easier?
I started with xrt back in 2007.

And i've only drifted it since then.

IMO you should start with xrt

But most other would say xrg, but xrg has to low power, so its really hard to maintain the drift to long.
i would say that the best thing to do is just get a feel for whats going on, im using the dfgt and i find that when i drift I'm nearly at lock to lock and that when i transition i need to brake as i transfer the weight. really the only tips people can give for drifting are setups and pointers, but if you want to drift you need to figure it out on your own. and above all try to stick to a easy layout instead of real tracks because the bumps and hills can mess you up as a beginner.
@markRBS13
Any chance that you could do some drifting on a track rotation / car park and post the replay ?

Best regards,
MousemanLV
Quote from MousemanLV :Any chance that you could do some drifting on a track rotation / car park and post the replay ?

Best regards,
MousemanLV

i got one on my youtube, well its not exactly mine its more like a channel for my friends and i but here is the link to me drifting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX1AYLdtxCs

enjoy the video!

best regards Gamerone00
#8 - Omar1
Your drifting looks fine? + don't use ABS
I believe Mouseman asked the OP to show his drifting..
Quote from gamerone00 :i got one on my youtube, well its not exactly mine its more like a channel for my friends and i but here is the link to me drifting

You need to work on your reading comprehension.
oops HAHAHA completely out of it
i dont understand, did i make no sence there or what happend?
I couldn't find it, but Nomuken did a drift tutorial series that I think is really good. He's done a few video tutorials, each one better than the last. The most recent one I've seen does a good job of presenting the exercises without too much fluff. It also gives the viewer a good idea of how long it takes beginners to master the basics.
Quote from Omar1 :hehehe... just me? :/

I don't know what you mean.
I wasn't directing my post at anyone in particular.

I looked around again and can't find the video I was talking about.
There are a ton of videos out there though.
nevermind, sounds like masterbating, but you didnt see that so i'll go back to my dark corner
Quote from markRBS13 :Hi

I've introduced myself in the sticky up top...

I do drift in the big toys but I'm finding it hard to hold the drift in LFS. Tried lots of different drift setups from here but 9 out of 10 times the back just lets go.
Probably as I have no feel anymore its going before i know it?

Any help guys???

Try with the RB4 locked rear diff, open front, 10% torque to the front 90 to the back, road super tyres with more pressure in the rear, and adjust the camber till you find the right setup, in the final drive up the torque a tiny bit in second, third and forth, also add 25kg weight to the front end,
It's the set up I use with my logitech g27 pretty much never need to touch the handbrake at all and can hold drifts flat out in fourth with ease
I would strongly advise against that. RB4 has a very limited steering lock of only 30 degrees, which usually results in you spinning a lot if you take it close to the limits. Only way I've managed to make the RB4 go properly sideways, is a near 50/50 drive split and trying to pull the slides off with almost no counter steering at all.

When learning to drift, stick with RWD and normal tires, which are more forgiving and last much longer before bursting than supers.
Quote from cameo27 :Try with the RB4 locked rear diff, open front, 10% torque to the front 90 to the back, road super tyres with more pressure in the rear, and adjust the camber till you find the right setup, in the final drive up the torque a tiny bit in second, third and forth, also add 25kg weight to the front end,
It's the set up I use with my logitech g27 pretty much never need to touch the handbrake at all and can hold drifts flat out in fourth with ease

rb4 pls...

instead of saying all that you could have just uploaded the setup
Quote from cameo27 :Try with the RB4 locked rear diff, open front, 10% torque to the front 90 to the back, road super tyres with more pressure in the rear, and adjust the camber till you find the right setup, in the final drive up the torque a tiny bit in second, third and forth, also add 25kg weight to the front end,

RB4 have a restricted steering angle to 30 degrees which is why XRT is a better choice. It's pretty much set up the way you describe already but with more steering angle (36 degrees).

For the XRT. You have to find good suspension values. Stiffer front is better for going wider without spinning as easily but it makes the setup understeery. I have 10kg/mm on front and 8 on the back.
Ackerman should be on 0%. That gets you the most outward steering angle. Lower ackerman with a softer front suspension will make the drift more unstable as the load switch between the front wheels.

If the problem is that you can't make the drifts last long enough, you just gonna have to use warmer rear tyres (or more inflated ones)

(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG